Friday, November 18, 2011

Communication

Every time I study about communication (especially within the family) I realize that much more how incredibly vital it is. I heard once that the highest rate of divorce in the LDS culture were 3 things (which I can only recall 2 at the moment) but all of those were interconnected with communication.

I'm in a Psychology of Effective Living class right now and we were pretty open in this class and I heard from a guy in my class that he has been married now for over 10 years and how much of a struggle it was with him and his wife and how he realized that they did not know how to problem-solve together. They were completely opposite. After he was finished, I talked about how important it is to make sure while you are dating someone to realize the different problem-solving strategies the both of you have... the guy who just finished talking rose his hand again and said "yes, that was the problem. My wife and I didn't ever really date...". This really hit home because Brother Williams has been saying that since Day one in this class that if you do not date then your marriage will become a lot harder in the long run. Soo, please date! And date correctly.

I'm really grateful that my husband and I have dated and have gotten to know each other really well. Even though yes we do struggle at times but I think we have figured out how we communicate and how we need to solve our problems together so it makes things a lot easier.

Now I just need to apply how Brother Ballard teaches how to counsel. That way when we have children it will be very easy to know how to properly counsel within our own family.

No comments:

Post a Comment